Saturday, March 3, 2012

Ukuleles, Music and the Return of a Wayward Soul!

Albert and Steve my FABULOUS music playin' friends!
The Amigos are BACK! me with Steve and Albert at the South Bay Acoustic jam in Campbell (March 3, 2012)
It had been almost a year since I'd seen my friend Steve Lussie -- the three of us, me, Steve and Albert were virtually unseparable at the Reno Ukulele Festival in 2011. I drove up there by myself from the bay area in my little Honda Civic Coupe and literally got stuck in the snow in the Sierra Nevadas! I had to turn around in Colfax due to shut down roads and spend the night at my Dad's in Placerville and I was a whole day late for the Reno Ukulele Festival -- missing most of the workshops for Saturday and the big Friday night show.

STUCK IN THE SNOW -- HEADING FOR RENO UKULELE FESTIVAL 2011!!!!




Me and Dad (I was supposed to already be in Reno at the Uke Festival in 2011!)
I was so sad when I finally arrived, and I must have looked down trodden because my friend Albert immediately took me under his wing -- and took my picture with Jim Deville and Daniel Ho! Then he introduced me to his new buddy Steve. We got stuck in a rain storm
Me with Jim DeVille -- who gets excited about songs with only 2 or 3 chords!

me with Daniel Ho -- thanks Albert! :) I already felt better even though I missed the workshops that day!
As it turned out, another major snow storm hit and EVERYONE (or almost everyone except those who left early) was pretty much stranded at Johnny Ascuaga's Nugget in Sparks, Nevada. So what did we do? We all walked around with ukuleles and jammed -- we jammed in the swimming pool area, we jammed in empty rooms we found, we jammed at the restaurant where we ate most of our meals, we jammed at the Starbucks and out in the lobby...! it was ukulele craziness with Albert and Steve and the gang! and I will never forget it!
Me and my new-found Ukulele Playing friend (aka Truck Driver) Steve!
So, we finally parted ways and went back to our regular lives, whatever that would be. I heard from Steve sporadically on Facebook throughout the year. Steve had asked me about Burning Uke 9 at Plasket Creek Park in Big Sur and I gave him all the necessary info -- and had even hoped perhaps I'd see him there in September 2011. Albert made it, but no Steve...didn't hear from him again for several months until he reappeared in the SF Bay Area at the beginning of March 2012! I first saw Steve and Albert -- the three of us amigos (and AMIGA, hehee!) together once again at the South Bay Acoustic jam in Campbell! Steve and I attended the San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion meeting the next day -- I hadn't been in ages and forgot how much I loved that jam and group of people. Because I had just moved over to Union City, I found myself close to the BART station which made it easy to get to the jam. this past year, we've had many interesting ukulele and music adventures...and I'm grateful for that....

No comments:

Post a Comment