Monday, September 17, 2012

A Day in the Life of a Ukulele Player

Saturday morning I was awakened at 8:30am by a fellow uke playing fanatic who suffers a little from "ukulele acqusition syndrome." "Let's go to the beach and jam!" he said. Bleary eyed, I peered at him through the open door and blinked...I'd been up way too late Friday night...hung out at coffee shop to hear Blue House play than went over to Murphy St. in Sunnyvale to hear another band and in the middle of it all my brother had called to inform me his daughter was having her baby...but I still threw on my clothes and flung a couple of ukuleles into the trunk of my car and said, "Let's go!" How can I ever say no to playing ukuleles on the beach with at least 75 to 100 other people? and of course I had to bring my 4-string Nalu because it's bright and fun, and also my 8-string ukulele, my pride and joy...with a rich, unique sound...

We got to the beach by the harbor, a perfect, sunny day, waves crashing against the shore, and joined the circle of at least 100 fellow ukulele players -- one guy played an upright bass and a couple of people played conga drums...we sang and played for at least two hours and then a small group of us jammed for another hour...in between the jam at the beach and the Beatles Ukulele Party at someone's house, my brother called to inform me that his daughter had a 9 lb 7 oz baby boy in Portland, OR! Yay! My brother is now a member of the "grandparent club!" We headed over to the house and set up -- so that we could play ukuleles with about 100 OTHER ukulele players and sing Beatles songs!!! my friend played the U-bass...and we closed out with Good Morning, Sgt. Pepper Reprise and Day in the Life!! Then me and a few others stood around while I played yet more Beatles songs...and I was surrounded by beautiful harmonies...I played the 8-string ukulele for this... it was a lovely day --and we all talked about Burning Uke X -- the huge ukulele campout coming up on September 20th where we'll play ukuleles for three and a half days straight!! Oh yeah!

So last night after reality set in at work, I headed over to Dana St. Roasting Coffee Shop, my favorite coffee shop for over 13 years (the owner Nick reminded me of how long it's been, wow!) for the Silicon Valley Uke Group monthly singalong jam!!! I never miss this...Dave brings bunches of extra ukuleles and hands out loaner ukes for those who need them...I got there at 6pm and already the place was filled with ukulele players -- the owner of the coffee shop has to bring in bunches of folding chairs to accommodate all the people who show up with ukuleles or who want to borrow one! It's fun ukulele insanity! we pass out songbooks...many have them printed up already. We teach a beginning uke workshop at 6:30 and by 7pm everyone strums four uke chords on the ukulele! Then we played and sang songs for two hours -- songs from the 60s and 70s, to old songs from the 1920s...you name it, we play it! Bad Moon Rising, Leavin' on a Jet Plane, 59th St. Bridge Song, Take It Easy among my faves...but last night the song that stuck in my head even today as i sit at work and chuckle...was "Ghost Chickens in the Sky!" Just imagine over 75 people playing ukuleles and singing this song...and even clucking -- Dave F. wearing a chicken hat on his head... Man, I wish I'd gotten photos of this..! so just imagine...Ghost Chickens in the Sky!!!!!

Ghost Chickens in the Sky Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment