Monday, February 3, 2014

Kidnapped by My Friends!

Perfect day at the beach in Santa Cruz...with Margaret, Nancy, John and Margaret
So, on Saturday morning, Diane and Margaret kidnapped me, forced me into Diane's car and we rode to the beach in Santa Cruz to play ukuleles with about 100 other people. We met Nancy and John there...it was a beautiful, perfect day. It's a tough life, but somebody's gotta do it. 
Havin' fun at the beach!
Sometimes I wonder what the obsession is, why do we love playing ukuleles together so much whenever we get a chance? Sometimes it's hard to explain to people who aren't caught up in this musical insanity like we are...something about the FEELING of strumming on those ukuleles, playing songs... at the beach, at Bronco Billy's in Fremont, at the Oakside Cafe in San Francisco, Denny's in San Jose and sometimes even the Strum Shop in Roseville...something magical draws us all together somehow and there we are... 

For me, playing music is deeper, it's a type of expression and sharing with other people...of remembering, singing the songs together. I really can't quite pinpoint it. All I can say is that it's loads of fun!!! 

Yet I found myself sitting at home on a Saturday night is almost unheard of! I just don't feel like driving anywhere...my friends Diane and Margaret kidnapped me and took me yo the beach in Santa Cruz to play ukes with about 100 people! Such a beautiful day. West nancy and John there and had a blast!! Funny how sometimes your day is completely different than what you expected. Tomorrow it's uke rebellion in San Francisco!!! I did watch the 60s British Invasion Beatles documentary with baby j tonight who yelled to his dad look its the Beatles!!! Hehe!

Then on Sunday I had a super fun day playing uke with my awesome San Francisco uke rebellion friends! We had a big crowd at the Oakside Cafe, you would never know it was Superbowl Sunday at all! The rain was good and didn't phase anyone either. We even had newcomers and we started with a couple of Pete Seeger songs I'd uploaded to our meetup site because we lost him this past week. If I Had a Hammer and Where Have All the Flowers Gone.  Then we played songs out of hte Daily Ukulele songbook, then back to Turn, Turn, Turn and some other songs out of the book. Sooo much fun!!!

Then a group of us hung out at a local cafe with no TV..me Steve nancy dean and John...we sang and played loads of great songs. Good to have u bass accompaniment! We managed to completely avoid the Super Bowl hoopla!! There wasn't even much traffic in San Francisco today! Gotta love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment