Sunday, August 14, 2022

Believe in Magic

Magic is All Around Us.

Around the corner from my house (Photo credit: Me!)


Believe in magic. I saw those words painted on a wooden fence as I wandered by on the neighborhood trail. The trail around the neighborhood feels like a healing trail… to rest your weary bones or, in my case, my weary feet and ankles. The pain in my ankles and feet began a couple of months ago after one of my usual treks through the woods. Excruciating pain from the inside ankle down to the arch area. 

Around the corner from my house (all photos taken by me)

But there’s magic on the trail for sure. The perennial peas glow pink and red and the wild carrot flowers contain thousands of mini flower shapes within each. And the messages written with chalk on a fence were exactly what I needed as I sauntered by. I stood still for a moment or two and reflected, taking it all in. A cool breeze on a sunny day is perfect walking weather.

 

I’m not sure how it happened, but I continued to saunter on the trail slowly and deliberately. As if on a mission, I kept going. I only stopped to check out Amazon Creek. 




Not as much water now, but still some, and a trickle of water moved along. The next thing I knew, I’d made it to my favorite tree! I visited her for a while and then I kept going.

The next thing I knew, I made it to the special bench on the Amazon headwaters Ridgeline trail. I like to say it’s my trail though it belongs to everyone… and that’s a good thing. I was so excited to reach the special bench! It had been over seven weeks since I’d been there. Before then, I’d make it to that bench every day. Now it felt like a major feat. I finally did it again! Yay! I was so happy. And no pain in my feet. Yet.



I sat on the bench for quite a while, taking it all in. Those messages in chalk on the fence inspired me. Or was it that sign that work was going to be done on this trail in August? I’m not sure which.

I could trek back down the trail with just minimal pain in my right ankle. On Tuesday, I finally have my appointment with an orthopedic doctor at Slocum here in Eugene. I hope to get some answers about my feet and ankles or at least to get some tests done. Or something. I hear that once you get in for your first appointment, then things go quickly. It just took forever for me to get this first appointment.

I have faith now that one of these days I’ll be able to walk and hike just as I used to. At least I hope so. That is my wish for my 65th birthday this week.





No comments:

Post a Comment