Monday, December 9, 2013

The Ukulele Spirit Transcends Generations


Most of us here know that the ukulele scene is here to stay. I truly believe in my heart that it is. Just like the Beatles transcend generations. They're wildly popular among the younger set which both amazes and thrills me.

But yesterday there were these proud "Grandma" moments that will forever remain in my heart when my little grandson Baby Jeremiah took the stage. I believe that by next year at this time he'll also be playing the ukulele...I REALLY believe it. if you could all see how delighted he is whenever I get the ukulele out -- he's loved listening to people play the ukulele since he was a tiny baby -- in fact, I remember when my son and I watched him as a baby and the ONLY thing that would keep him from screaming was when I played and sang the Hukilau song on the Ukulele -- for some reason he just loved that 'huki huki huki" part and he would suddenly be quiet. then it was all about the Beatles and she loves you yeah, yeah yeah. I had to play it for him over and over again until he got it. NOW I understand why he kept yelling, "Play she loves you again!" he wanted to get it, really get it...

ANYWAY, my faith is renewed in knowing that our wonderful ukulele jams and sing-alongs will also transcend generations as we pass the spirit down to our kids and our grandkids... we won't allow them to forget how wonderful it is and magical -- and how all of us can get together and play and sing... Like the San Francisco Folk Music Group which has prevailed for over 50 years and still goes on...the songs passed down through the generations.... the younger crowd will find their own music, but they'll also embrace ours -- and make it part of theirs.

I didn't realize what an impact this all had until yesterday afternoon at Marty's annual Christmas Ukulele party -- and how this entire time Baby Jeremiah has been listening, truly listening... all I did was sing Jingle Bells to him a few times until he could sing a long...

who knew he would hit the stage with it? I didn't either!!! Seriously, I had no idea that would happen yesterday. these are moments to be treasured forever. I'm glad a couple of people got a bit of it on video -- we didn't even have a chance to get the camera out. and here it is, that epic, completely spontaneous unexpected performance...it's only a minute long, just a snippet of time...check it out:


See you tonight at Dana St. -- I'll be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment