Saturday, March 25, 2023

It’s A Long Way to the Top

If you Wanna climb that hill!

Today I officially graduated from Physical Therapy. My awesome physical therapist told me there was nothing more he could do for me, and that my right foot healed faster than most would considering how much work was done on it. He showed me x-rays of before and after and of the left foot which still needs surgery. He said the left foot does not have as much damage and no arthritic parts like the right foot. So it should not be as bad. He is so impressed that he’s recommending I attempt to get the left foot done sooner than later! Wow, this is incredible. I had surgery on December 5, 2022, and now I’m healed. But I’m not done yet. That’s okay though.

We hugged and said goodbye at the end of the appointment. It was bittersweet because Danny has been a wonderful physical therapist. Not only did he help me, but he also showed me exactly what was going on with my foot and how many different things the orthopedic did as well. He said it was amazing that I could walk as well as I can and that I was a success story! I didn’t think I’d ever get to this point, but here I am.

I then told him how on March 18, 2023, I finally made it to the top of the hill on the Amazon Headwaters trail. I walked five miles in total that day. I could hear the roar of Amazon Creek as I trekked up the trail. The creek was still divided into two main creeks. Further up, several other tributary creeks merged together. It sounded like an ocean at one point because the creek roared on both sides of me. You cannot see one of the creeks when this happens, but you can sure hear it. Eventually, the trail crosses bridges of both creeks in various locations.

I talked with several people on the trail, some of whom were happy to see me on the trail again. Kirsten and Kimberly said they’d seen me walking with the boot around the neighborhood. Kirsten installed the fairy house further up the trail and now is a place where many leave offerings. She checks on it and adds to it periodically. I told them I’d be happy if I could just get to the fairy house past the special bench and they agreed. Oh yes, you can do it. It didn’t occur to me at that moment that I’d make it much further.

I took my time and stopped whenever I felt I needed to and I sat on the special bench for a while. Then, after I checked out the fairy house, which looked more magical than ever, I could tell that nothing would stop me from making it to the top. I would get small twinges in my right foot, but they’d last for less than a moment. I felt exhilarated and happy as I looked at the trees far below me and above me as well. The song, “It’s a long way to the top if you wanna rock n’ roll,” ran through my head the entire time of course. Thus, I wrote a parody of parts of the song, “It’s a long way to the top if you wanna climb that hill. It’s not easy climbing that hill, but it sure gives me a thrill..”

I was doing it I breathed in the smell of those Douglas firs and noticed a few of those Oregon Ewe trees as well along with the many trees with no leaves on them yet.

When I made it to the top I yelled, “Yes, I did it!” to no one in particular. Maybe that lady standing close by noticed or maybe she didn’t. The Fox Hollow Trailhead is the top of the trail. It leads to several other trails including the Dillard trail and another trail leading people to the Summit, as well as a parking lot for the trail walkers (or runners) and a portable bathroom that isn’t too bad. Spencer Butte is so much closer up here.

I had walked on the Dillard trail often before my surgery because it’s flat most of the way, and my feet did not do well with the downhill walk. I had to drive up Fox Hollow Road and park because I could not walk as far. But before I had problems with my feet, I’d hike up the Amazon headwaters trail right over to the Dillard trail, no problem. So it had been several months even before the surgery since I’d made it to the top with no problem. I’d gone partway a few times.

I descended upon the beautiful Dillard Trail a short way this time. I can look down a steep hill and see where I’d come from. But I didn’t go too far because I knew I still had to trek back down the trail. As I made my way down the hill, I noticed that my right foot was leading the way, straight and sure, and my left foot was all over the map. The bunion scraped against my shoe and there was some pain in that foot.

Danny said there’s a word for that when your foot heals enough to know that it can lead the way. I can’t remember it right now though. It’s a huge deal and means that the right foot has truly healed. I’ve been obsessed with remembering that word. Google searches don’t get it.

Congratulations! Danny smiled after I told him. You’ve made it. I did not expect to make it to the top, and I won’t do it every day — yet!

Thank you, Dr. Zilkowski and my family and friends who helped me on this massive journey.

Day 25 of 100 Days of Ukulele — in honor of making it to the top! 

No comments:

Post a Comment