Friday, August 9, 2013

Epic Adventure 2013 Day 4 - the Mad Dash for Paul McCartney!!!

The alarm on my cell phone went off at 5:45 a.m. Somehow "Revolution" by the Beatles sounded even more relentless than usual. It was light outside but barely. Sister Roseanne slept soundly as I quickly got ready and dashed out the door stopping at the Arco station to get coffee and oatmeal before hitting I-5 due south. I made fabulously great time and was doing so well until that cop stopped me right outside Redding to give me a speeding ticket. I tried to talk my way out of it. I have to be in San Francisco by 2pm I explained, to see Paul McCartney! I had also forgotten to print out my insurance paperwork, silly me. but at least he was able to look that up and not ticket me for that.

my kids say I always get a speeding ticket when I travel, but that's not true. only sometimes. I mean, to everyone speeds on I-5. but I couldn't let that get to me. I just had to keep going. I didn't hit traffic til I got down I-80 and the entire bay bridge area was gridlocked.


finally the traffic clears up!
dear Sir or Madam would you read my book, it took me years to write won't you take a look?
it's based on a story about a man named Lear and I need a job so I wanna be a paperback writer, paperback writer! (and yes, he did this song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was starting to worry. What if I don't find a parking place? what if I can't ever get across the bay bridge? Breathe. don't worry, you'll get there. and sure enough, I got out into the avenues and miraculously found a parking spot just a few blocks from the Polo Fields entrance into the Outside Lands concert! 

My friend Margaret met me at the gate with a wrist band and we were in!!! how exciting! I got to walk around a little before my shift began and check out the various booths and all the food and drink vendors, etc. and now I have a very strong appreciation for the people who prepare and serve food and drink at the festivals...what an operation! 



this is the booth that I worked at for about six hours serving Wasabi fries, rice balls and Japanese chicken!
got my picture taken at radio station booths! IN PREPARATION, OHHH YEAH!


I knew exactly where the polo fields are so no issue for me but my poor friends Margaret and Kathy and her mom got really messed up on public transportation! Margaret net me at the gate with my free wristband and I was in! Very exciting several stages and booths food and drink! I got to walk around a little but mostly I worked the food booth for several hours on my feet with Margaret, Phyllis and Kathy and other people serving Japanese chicken rice balls and wasabi fries! No I did not cook. We had amazing cooks who kept toiling away. They also had sushi burritos. Those were a big hit. Being back there among the workers who prepare and serve the food gave me a wonderful appreciation for all the people who work these festivals restaurants etc. the cooks are smart and savvy. You should see the burrito guys next door! What an amazing operation! All was well and u didn't know any if the bands before Paul so I was cool with working until Paul. 

When the Beatles music poured in from loudspeakers I knew it was my cue to push myself through the crowd to get ad close as possible to stage. Man that was hard cuz of the wall if people. I felt like a sardine in that crowd! But Paul blew everyone away this time opening with Eight Days a Week which everyone in the audience knew. And sang along. What really blew my mind was that 80 percent if the audience was super young! Like my kids ages and younger! Seriously! 


Wait! How do they know the music and the words to the sings? One young girl crying cuz she loves Paul! Thousands of then. They knew the Beatles songs best! What an amazing moving three hour straight show it was. My feet killing me. Squished, hit up on by a kid younger than three of my own who knew every single Beatles song. Seriously. One amazing song after another Beatles mixed with wings and Paul himself. He sounded better than I've heard him in years! So much energy. I cried when he played something on the ukulele and tributes the song to George. Remembering..,also his tribute to John a love song to him. Fireworks and pyrotechnics for live and let die and two encores finally ending with the end from abbey Rd starting with golden slumbers. Was it worth it? Oh yea!



I LOVE YOU PAUL!








Paul with his band!!! it was very exciting! I wish I could've gotten to the front but there was a WALL of people!


SO CLOSE YET SO FAR AWAY! but the closest I've ever been to PAUL!!!!




this is the official setlist for the Paul McCartney concert! he played for over 3 hours with TWO ENCORES!!!!! 
Here's what Paul McCartney performed on Friday (Aug. 9) at the Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival in San Francisco, based on my notes and www.setlist.fm: (by Jim Harrington)
1. "Eight Days a Week"
2. "Junior's Farm"
3. "Magical Mystery Tour"
4. "Listen to What the Man Said"
5. "Let Me Roll It"
6. "Paperback Writer"
7. "My Valentine"
8. "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five"
9. "The Long and Winding Road"
10. "Maybe I'm Amazed"
11. "I've Just Seen a Face"
12. "San Francisco Bay Blues"
13. "We Can Work It Out"
14. "Another Day"
15. "And I Love Her"
16. "Blackbird"
17. "Here Today"
18. "Your Mother Should Know"
19. "Lady Madonna"
20. "All Together Now"
21. "Lovely Rita"
22. "Mrs. Vandebilt"
23. "Eleanor Rigby"
24. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"
25. "Something"
26. "Ob La Di, Ob La Da"
27. "Band on the Run"
28. "Back in the USSR"
29. "Let It Be"
30. "Live and Let Die"
31. "Hey Jude"
Encore:
32. "Day Tripper"
33. "Hi Hi Hi"
34. Get Back
Encore 2:
35. "Yesterday"
36. "Helter Skelter"
37. "Golden Slumbers"
38. "Carry That Weight"
39. "The End"

No comments:

Post a Comment