Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Beautiful UKULELE Rebellion Day in San Francisco!

It was one of those rare, warm beautiful San Francisco nights at Alamo Square Park...one of the few times I can recall when that song that goes, "On a warm San Francisco night!" REALLY does apply...with Dean and Steve with those buildings behind us called the Seven Sisters..think of that show, FULL HOUSE!!!
Today I traveled to San Francisco yet again via BART and muni bus...where I met around 25 people at the Oakside Cafe on Divasadero and Broderick...we took over the coffee house -- us UKULELE REBELS! (actually we are revolutionaries because I think we're succeeding and definitely coming out ahead!) I never get tired of the adventure...never know exactly what will happen afterwards.

Tonight after the Ukulele Rebellion, I walked with Steve and Dean up the hill to Alamo Square Park...because it was just so beautiful out...and Dean said this was the place to go. He was so right! We had our ukuleles with us, so of course...we got them out. I remember we sat on a green bench and jammed for a very long time on that song, "Evil Ways." I always laugh when I play it because when we played it at Uke Rebellion earlier and Steve was on the U-Bass, I mumbled, "Chauvanist!" under my breath because that one part where the lyrics say, "When I come home, baby, my house is dark and my pots are cold, you hang around baby, with Jean and Joan and who knows who, I'm getting tired of wait and fooling around..." etc. I mean, c'mon. That has gotta be the most chauvanistic song ever! So Steve laughed when I said that...

but the song is sooo fun to jam on and it sounds good and it's only three chords, mostly the Gm7 and the C7 chords over and over again with that rhythm going on...adding a D7 in every now and again...

So we jammed on ukuleles sitting on those benches as the sun set over Sutro Forest and UC Hospital which overlooks the neighborhood where I grew up and where my childhood memories reside...I get really nostalgic when I'm in san Francisco. I just cannot help it.

A beautiful sturdy oak tree awaits us as we trudge up that last hill in the park...reminds me a lot of my "favorite" tree over at the Greens...but a little bigger. Luckily, although many of the trees are no longer at the Greens, my favorite tree still lives!!
Hmm...shall we play ukuleles? Or not? Yes I think we should!!! say Steve and Dean!
The sun setting over Sutro Forest...

Even the evening was warm!

Why is it that whenever I hang out in San Francisco I never want to leave? But eventually Steve and I must make the journey home on BART...which we usually don't do until close to 10pm at night after we've hung out and jammed for a few hours on ukes...
Yay, says Steve! I finally get to play leads on my little Sam Chang ukulele from  the 1920s! (Steve usually plays U-Bass at the Uke Rebellion)


No comments:

Post a Comment