Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Alameda Holiday Walk!


On a beautiful, clear sunny afternoon, I met with a group of around 28 people for a walk with a meetup group called "Walking for Health and History in and Around San Francisco." Now, I had participated in another walk with this group last June -- "March to the Sea."

We literally walked from one end of San Francisco to another -- it was rigorous, challenging and FABULOUS all at the same time! I knew that the guy who coordinates and sets up these walks, Howard...doesn't mess around. When he says we're walking, we REALLY walk!














This particular walk was supposed to take place a week earlier, but it was rescheduled due to bad weather (as in loads of rain). But this day could not be more perfect walking weather! I didn't know about the Christmas Display thing - just wanted to walk around Alameda. The "day" part of the walk lasted around 3 hours walking at a leisurely pace...when all was said and done at the end of the night, we had walked about seven miles according to my pedometer. It was all flat, so the walk wasn't bad at all. We took a break between the day walk and the night walk (about 45 minutes)...some people actually left after the day walk, and they really missed out on the coolest light display I've seen in years, if ever...we walked all the way through the neighborhood that was lit up like a beautiful wonderland...even the trees had lights on them and one house had music coordinated with their lights -- from Nightmare Before Christmas! sooo cool. BEST seven mile walk I took...met really cool people...after the walk I met with my older daughter Melissa and she was amazed that I'd walked seven miles with a whole group of people I didn't know before! I'd say it was magical...I'm ready for the next walk...most are in San Francisco, some in Oakland.

I walked almost 20,000 steps (according to the pedometer)...and it felt great!

No comments:

Post a Comment