Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Starting 2013 out RIGHT!!!!

I can't think of a better way to bring in the new year! I had discovered Niles, located about a mile or so from our house, just a few months earlier...as well as the Mud Puddle and Michael McNevin and assorted fabulous people just a few months earlier. Up until a few days earlier, I really had no plans for new year's...so I jumped on the opportunity to attend the Mud Puddle musical awesomeness...and even managed to invite a couple of my good ukulele playing friends, Albert and Steve, before the event sold out. See, the Mud Puddle is a very small, cozy, funky place located on the main drag of Niles right across from the train station. From what I understand, it's about 15 x 15...and was once a barber shop...and now it's a soulful venue for fabulous music and jamming. I drove the mile and a half down the street and arrived in downtown Niles at 9:15pm. My friend Albert got there at about the same time. He said he brought bongo drums and a harmonica and I think a guitar -- you never know what instrument Albert will play! But I know him from the ukulele gatherings. I was a little frazzled because I had spent a couple of hours watching my little grandson...
the shopping cart was the last straw!
but now it was MY time! 

The place was jam packed with warm, inviting, friendly people...Albert and I sat in the "balcony" next to a guy holding a bass guitar. I had one ukulele with me. We were serenaded by some awesome guitar player/singers who did a couple of Grateful Dead songs which I loved. They reminded me of the Grateful Dead concerts I'd attended for new year's eve in San Francisco back in the '70's...and of their free concerts in Golden Gate Park. You can never go wrong with the Grateful Dead. The comedian lady Gail was HILARIOUS! Michael McNevin and his trustee bass player played a few songs including some lovely Michael McNevin originals...I loved the song he wrote about his Mom and the Rose Bowl. Heck, I loved all the songs. I didn't know for sure if my friend Steve, who is a MEGA ukulele player (and everything else player) would show up because he had driven a truck to Reno early that morning, but he still made it...just a little late! 
Me with my uke playing buddies Albert and Steve!
Then Michael McNevin kicked us out so he could rearrange the place for jamming. And that was one of the most WONDERFULLY EPIC parts of the evening for me because a whole group of us stood outside and jammed in the street!!! I was able to follow along with the "big guys" on ukulele (and I was the only chick playing an instrument that night)...and I loved EVERY SINGLE MOMENT of it!!! I don't shred or play solos or anything, but if I can follow along, I'm happy! the crowd outside on the street kept getting bigger and more and more people showed up! I think we jammed on this one blues song for like 15 minutes or maybe more...sooo cool! then we all went inside to bring in the new year with a lovely bang...and champagne...! I counted down the last minute on my iPhone...and heard "Auld Lang Syne" on ukulele and mandolin, with guitar and bass thrown in...and maybe bongos too. HAPPY NEW YEAR! thanks to Michael McNevin and the "Horribles" and all of you amazing people for keeping the spirit alive in Niles!!
Starting the new year out RIGHT!!!! OHHH YEAH!!!! this is what it is all about!


No comments:

Post a Comment