Tuesday, January 29, 2013

SF Uke Rebellion invades Land's End San Francisco!

me and the gang down at Land's End...a beautiful day in San Francisco

Yesterday a whole group of us, about 25 people, played ukuleles at a magical place...down at Land's End of San Francisco where the ocean meets the bay. In spite of some of us having to park a little up the hill and trek in, the day could not have been MORE perfect for our very first ukulele jam here...! People stopped to listen and even clapped after we finished...good times! 



Afterwards I walked the trail..or most of it anyway, on my own...and that's when I remembered that 16 years ago at about this time we scattered my mom's ashes into the Pacific Ocean at Yaquina Head Lighthouse up in Oregon..I still remember it as clear as day. The ocean is where we go to honor and remember my mom...and I think she would've dug the ukulele playing too (even as a spectator) so close to the ocean that she loved so much...she was eccentric, smart and funny and never cared what anyone thought about what she did or said...! 

One of a kind...she would've approved of her first great grandson's name ("Jeremiah")...trust me, she did NOT always approve of the names I chose and she would have been thrilled to meet both of her great grandsons Baby Jeremiah (born July 2011) and Baby Iyumni (born Sept. 2012)...we sang and played for you Mom...because we won't forget you. 

Oh and to top everything off, I ended up on Haight Street in San Francisco last night with my friend...we ate dinner at this very cool, funky Indian restaurant I'd never seen nor heard of before and walked up and down the street...stayed at the book store til it closed...then happened to find a Tobacco store that was still open -- had no need for tobacco but dug the psychedelic memoralbilia in the window...even the ashtrays were cool...walked inside and found a TREASURE TROVE of rare 1960's posters, artwork, ceramics...YOU NAME it! The guy didn't mind that we spent a very long time looking at all the fabulous posters...a piece of 1960's rock n' roll history tucked away here...early photos of The Who, the Stones, the BEATLES (of course)...the Doors (and Jefferson Airplane seemed to be everyone's special guest -- OF COURSE!)...turns out the building is called the Red House...Jimi hendrix once resided there...I ended up purchasing a Yellow submarine tie-dye t-shirt in my size...what a perfect way to end a momentous occasion such as yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment