Thursday, January 2, 2014

Celebrating 2014 in Style!

Happy 2014! In front of the MudPuddle in Niles right after Midnight...Contemplating the mysteries of life...or rather "Auld Lang Syne" in the key of G! Can't think of a better way to spend new year's!
"Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never bought to mind!" 'Tis a beautiful song, filled with fun and joy because it's what lots of people sing when the new year hits and the ball drops and everyone cheers and hugs and kisses...and fireworks go off. But as I stood outside the Mud Puddle on Niles Blvd. and I strummed and sang Auld Lang Syne, I couldn't help but think of past new years...with my Mom when I was young, with friends, some have come and some have gone...I was surrounded by people yet also strangely alone all at the same time. But it felt okay at that moment on that cool but not too cold new year's morning. Good thing I brought the words to Auld Lang Syne -- and it was honor to be able to lead it -- with Michael McNevin and his entourage and Clancy the Dog -- outside the warm tiny Mud Puddle stuffed with memories, vintage instruments and old-school etch-a-sketches with designs and drawings...a reminder of time gone by. I think that's why people love Niles and the MudPuddle so much -- it's the music that draws them in, but there's something about the present mixed with the past...the reminders of what was mixed with what is happening right then -- of possibilities for songs, for making music and new memories. It was the perfect place to be as new year's eve slipped into the new year...

Believe it or not, even a usually happy-go-lucky ukulele player has her moments...Like Michael McNevin said, don't think about it too much...just do it. and I took that to heart. It was best that I traveled alone to the MudPuddle to clear my head of confusion...

The MudPuddle!!! I'm here!!! 


this is a cool place!

Michael McNevin and Bruce
they keyboard player was awesome. here's he's playing the solo part of In My Life while Josh and I look on.
Making new memories -- at the Mud Puddle where the past meets the present...and I got to strum my ukulele with fabulous people who get it...



No comments:

Post a Comment