Tuesday, January 28, 2014

RIP Pete Seeger...and Life

It's all cuz of Pete Seeger that I'm late for work this morning! sigh... I know this sounds crazy, but when I read the news of his passing, it sunk in but then it's like I saw a post that said it was a hoax and I really hoped it was...and of course it was real. Pete Seeger, an American "Legend" has passed, yet he lived such a long fulfilling life and inspired so many of us through his songs and stories. So I got up super early (for me getting up before 7 is super early!) to take my dog to the pet groomer...then I dashed back home where there was no coffee left, thinking oh I have PLENTY of time now to get ready for work, right? More time than usual, but nooo! I dredged up the guitar and played some songs...somehow I felt I needed to play them on the guitar. Of course Where Have All the Flowers gone and some others...and spent so much time messing around with the music that I was late for work and I forgot my purse. I did, however, remember my backpack, my guitar and my ukulele. I don't even know why I had to bring both of them to work with me today...seriously! it's like I'm in this weird zone, thinking of Pete Seeger and of Faith Petric, another folk music icon...and all those we've lost. the best thing we can do is just keep their spirits alive by playing their music, sharing their stories...which of course also brings me to the Beatles and how CBS will actually air a special show and performance on Sunday, February 9th, 2014 at 7pm WITH Ringo and Paul both performing...even at the same time that famous Ed Sullivan Show aired...other musicians will join them of course in celebrating...and I was thinking, it's more than JUST the Beatles or just Pete Seeger, it's like an institution, a way of life that reminds us of who we are and where we've been... people yearn for that, and every time we hear a song or play a song, we remember and we know.

I need to crash now. I was out way too late tonight... it all started innocent enough when I made an appearance at the San Jose Ukulele Club jam at Denny's on Hillsdale in San Jose! Got there around 7:15 and played a bunch of show tunes from movies that were nominated for academy awards and I brought a Pete Seeger song which I shared for open mic...Where Have All the Flowers Gone. I even brought my guitar! What a concept to bring guitar to a ukulele jam. Hey it all works. So the jam ended... of course no one wanted to end. Ukulele players never want jams to end... especially the more crazy ones. They always end with, "I Love Ukuleles!" perfect song to end on I do believe. But who knew I'd hang out with Lori and this dude named Edward until heaven knows when. The Denny's staff let us hang in the back room as long as we only sat at a certain table. So we played and sang some Beatles songs... and I actually used my tablet to look at the music which was cool. No more lugging music books around with this nifty little tablet, yay! We didn't leave until almost 11pm. The problem is, you don't really know what time it is when you're in Denny's since it never closes... and when I walked outside, I was greeted by dampness.! Oh my gosh, did it really rain? We really need it. I know, I know. Good night!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment